We work to make our facilities accessible to everyone. If you have questions or would like to request support, please get in touch with us at 734-764-0401 or send us a message.
Understanding Hatcher's layout
Hatcher Library is made up of two connected buildings, Hatcher North and Hatcher South.
- If you enter Hatcher Library off the “Diag,” you’re in Hatcher North.
- If you enter Hatcher Library off South University Avenue (behind the Clements Library), you’re in Hatcher South.
You can cross between Hatcher North and Hatcher South on floor 2, but the other floors are not directly connected. It’s helpful to plan ahead if you’re unfamiliar.
To find your way in Hatcher, take note of whether the location you're looking for says "north" or "south" in its address. View our floor plans for more room information.
The Hatcher South entrance is located off South University Avenue, behind the Clements Library.
- It is wheelchair-accessible, with an automatic door and no steps or incline.
- An information services desk is in the lobby.
- All elevators in the south lobby go to floors 1 through 8 of Hatcher South. You can access Hatcher North at floor 2.
- Get to the library book stacks by taking the third elevator (closest to the back wall) to floors 2a, 3a, and 4a.
The Hatcher North entrance is located off the “Diag.”
- It requires stair climbing or the use of a pedestrian ramp that does not meet minimum steepness requirements required by the ADA.
- A staffed information services desk is on the right as you enter.
- All elevators in the north lobby go to the basement and floors 1-4 of Hatcher North.
- You can access Hatcher South at floor 2
- Get stairs-free access to the library book stacks on floor 2, near the Ask a Librarian desk. Enter the door labeled “North Stacks,” and follow the yellow tape to reach a book stacks elevator. Please ask staff at the desk if you need help navigating or retrieving items.
In Hatcher South, there are single-stall, all-gender, and accessible restrooms available on floors 3, 4, 5, and 6.
In Hatcher North, the men’s restrooms in the basement and floor 3 of Hatcher North are wheelchair accessible, and the women’s restrooms on floors 1 and 3 are wheelchair accessible. There are no all-gender restrooms in Hatcher North.
- Hatcher Library North floor plans show the basement, 4 main floors, and 5 sublevels that are mostly book stacks.
- Hatcher Library South floor plans show 8 floors with book stacks, staff spaces and offices, a range of study spaces, and areas dedicated to special collections.
An Mcard is required to enter the building after midnight.