Special Collection Materials
We are offering digitization services as staff availability and other resources allow. All requests for digitization of collection material are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, with priority given to U-M students, faculty, and staff when necessary.
To get started, make sure you’re registered as a researcher to access our materials.
See our introduction to finding special collections and archival materials if it’s new to you.
How to place a request
We use a few different tools to describe our varied collections. How you place a request depends on where you found the item.
Library Search or Subject Vertical File
- Select Request this, which will take you to our reading room request form. Log in if needed, but do not submit yet.
- Select the link that says Switch to Duplication Request.
- Complete this form and select Submit.
Online finding aid
For materials described by an online finding aid, there is no request link directly from the finding aid. Instead:
- Log in to your Special Collections Request Account.
- Select Request Duplication from the site menu.
- Manually enter the details of your request. Please provide as much detail as possible and select Submit.
- If you are requesting material from multiple folders in an archive, please submit a separate request for each folder.
Access to completed requests
When we complete your request, you will receive a notification by email. In most cases, you’ll be able to download files from your account by selecting Delivered Items under Duplication.
If a single request results in multiple files, the email notification will contain a link to a specific page for downloading them.