Copyright Basics Canvas Module
Our Canvas modules are designed to empower students to make informed decisions regarding the work they create and the use of others’ work.
Both modules cover the basics of U.S. copyright law. Please feel free to adapt them for your needs.
- U.S. Copyright Basics (short): takes about 20 minutes
- U.S. Copyright Basics (long): takes about 30 minutes
The modules cover:
- The difference between plagiarism and copyright infringement
- What is copyrightable and what is not
- The public domain (work that’s no longer subject to copyright)
- Permissible uses under U.S. copyright law
- When it’s necessary to secure permission before you use a work